plustek: Thread: bright colors clipped on scanjet 2200c

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: bright colors clipped on scanjet 2200c
From: Paul Grayson ####@####.####
Date: 25 Aug 2002 22:09:42 -0000

Hello, I just compiled xsane and the plustek backend and configured it
for use with my new HP 2200c scanjet under linux-2.4.18.  I
successfully used it to scan a picture, but noticed that the bright
areas were all washed out with white.  Adjusting the contrast and
brightness failed to fix the problem, so I think the clipping must be
occurring before those adjustments are applied.

Is there any calibration that I can do besides contrast, brightness,
and gamma?  Do you have a way to test whether values are being
clipped before those adjustments?

I tested the same picture under Windows with HP's PrecisionScan
program, and the output was unclipped.  Here are the pictures (a
little embarassing - that's me at age 4 :-)

From SANE:    http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~pgrayson/sane.jpg
From windows: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~pgrayson/windows.jpg

The windows scan looks identical to the original photograph - note the
range of colors on my nose and forehead, which are clipped on the SANE
scan.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about how to get the quality
of xsane up to what I get under Windows!  Thanks,

-Paul