plustek: Thread: CanoScan N650U

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: CanoScan N650U
From: "Stephen W. Nuchia" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2002 18:48:07 -0000

I made the mistake of buying an N650U without checking for Linux
drivers.  Silly me.

Anyway, I've installed the latest and have the thing functioning
mechanically.  The image returned has the following characteristics:

all green pixels near zero intensity
all blue pixels near 255
red compressed into a range around 15-20% of scale

Enhancing the red shows that it is indeed seeing the piece of
paper on the glass, but it seems to be inverted: the black writing
is brighter (like by 1/255 on average) than the white paper.

Suggestions welcome, and I'd be very glad to get any alpha-test
changes anybody might have.  This is my first foray into the
system-level interface of a scanner.  At a guess, this is either
a calibration problem, a gamma table download problem, or a lamp
control problem.  Some guess, huh?

My platform is a dual P3 machine, running RedHat 7-something with
the 2.4.18-5 kernel in non-SMP mode since my USB bridge driver
doesn't work with the SMP kernel.

--
           /"\
           \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

On Wednesday, 3. July 2002 20:34, Stephen W. Nuchia wrote:
> I made the mistake of buying an N650U without checking for Linux
> drivers.  Silly me.
>
> Anyway, I've installed the latest and have the thing functioning
> mechanically.  The image returned has the following characteristics:
>
> all green pixels near zero intensity
> all blue pixels near 255
> red compressed into a range around 15-20% of scale
>
> Enhancing the red shows that it is indeed seeing the piece of
> paper on the glass, but it seems to be inverted: the black writing
> is brighter (like by 1/255 on average) than the white paper.
>
> Suggestions welcome, and I'd be very glad to get any alpha-test
> changes anybody might have.  This is my first foray into the
> system-level interface of a scanner.  At a guess, this is either
> a calibration problem, a gamma table download problem, or a lamp
> control problem.  Some guess, huh?
>
> My platform is a dual P3 machine, running RedHat 7-something with
> the 2.4.18-5 kernel in non-SMP mode since my USB bridge driver
> doesn't work with the SMP kernel.

Well the problem here is that the driver might set all hw setting correct
so that you're able to scan, but the data read functions don't work.
So I first have to correct them - how I don't know but I will try and figure
out how ;-)

Gerhard