plustek: Thread: Umax 3400 Problem

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Umax 3400 Problem
From: Jesse Kline ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jun 2002 23:10:16 -0000

Hello,

 I am the (not so proud) owner of a Umax Astra 3400. I purchased the
scanner before I discovered the wonderful world of Linux, and now that I
use Linux almost exclusively, it is the only piece of hardware that I
own that doesn't work under Linux. Actually it is pretty much the only
reason that I keep Windows around on one of my machines. So naturally
when I checked the Sane homepage and it said that the Umax 3400 was now
supported by the Plustek drivers I was very happy. It took me awhile to
get the scanner recognized but I have got that working now, however I am
still having problems. When I go into XSane or XScanimage and try to
scan a preview it turns on the bulb, moves it down a few cm, then makes
a strange noise and moves it back. Since it doesn't even come close to
scanning the whole photo that I have on the flatbed, all I get are a few
blue lines. I world like to know if there is anything I can do about
this, or what I am doing wrong. I will go through my installation method
as best I can remember it (I did it a few days ago now):
I am using SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 3800. I installed the Sane and
Xsane RPMS through Yast 2 (sane version is 1.0.7). I then downloaded and
installed the Sane Backends 1.0.8 tarball. Then I edited the
/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf file, and took out the parport options. I also
changed the "[usb]" line to [usb] 0x1606 0x0060 and changed the option
lampOff to 600. I also added the line options scanner vendor=0x1606
product=0x0060 to /etc/modules.conf and the line modprobe scanner to one
of my init scripts. As I said, this setup allows the scanner to be
recognized and initialized, but it is still not working for me. Any help
on this would be very much appreciated. I would love to finally get this
scanner running under my favorite operating system.

Thank you very much,

Jesse Kline

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]