primax: More on primax problem on Mandrake 9

Subject: Re: More on primax problem on Mandrake 9
From: ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2002 23:02:25 -0000

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Andre Herms wrote:

> HUUU! - I forget to mention: Don't use primaxd. You don't need it anymore.
> The driver uses the native saned. It loads the libsane-primax.so and uses it.
> Therefore you had to add the "primax"-entry in dll.conf.
> Please  remove primaxd and configure saned. Maybe Mandrake did this already
> for you.

Sorry, my mistake ... in the hectic attempts at getting the scanner to
work I tried the original standalone program, and afterwards the native
saned which loads libsane-primax.so. So when I say 'primaxd' on mandrake
9.0 I am actually referring to saned + libsane-primax.so.

I still have a mandrake 8.2 partition and on that one both the standalone
program and primaxd work ok, EXCEPT that primaxd switches the lamp on at
init.

> Seems as primaxd is locking the io-ports. Remove it.

No, I don't have primaxd. Even if I remove the whole 'saned' configuration
entries and libsane-primax.so and try to install the primax_scan
standalone binary and nothing else the standalone binary won't work.

> The used kernel module is calles ppdev. This provides a device:
> /dev/parport/0.
> Maybe this is not loaded, as some distributions have no configured the devfsd
> correctly. So you have to load it manually with: modprobe ppdev.

Ha ! Excellent ! So if I do modprobe ppdev the various /dev/parport/
entries finally appear. Unfortunately, if as root user at this point I do:

primax_scan -l on

I get:

Could not unlock IO ports. Are you superuser ?

And, as I said, I have removed all priamxd and saned stuff from my system.

> There was a problem in the implementation of the 2.4.19 kernel.  But this
> schould be fixed in the latest version. Did you use the latest cvs version?
> Maybe you have to update it again.

You mean the standalone program will surely NOT work because of this
problem ??
All right, so I will try to reinstall the saned stuff and see if it works
with modprobe ppdev (sigh ...).

--
Michele Alzetta