primax: Xsane -- Scan-mode is missing!

Subject: Re: Xsane -- Scan-mode is missing!
From: Andre Herms ####@####.####
Date: 27 Nov 2002 23:54:13 -0000

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 18:45, Christian Ordig wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 05:04:24PM +0100, James Hatridge wrote:
> > in b/w I have to change each picture one at a time.
>
> man convert (after installing imagemagick *g)
>
> > Think on this. As long as I'm doing the scanning myself I'll do it the
> > PIA way just because I don't like W$. But the moment I have to pay
> > someone to scan in all the pictures (btw it takes me about a day to do
> > all for one issue) Linux will be out the door. W$ is just quicker and as
> > an employer I have to count pennies. This must change. You as the
> > programmer must make it as easy as possible for the user.
>
> we don't MUST anything... you might suggest something or implement it
> yourself.
> And to quote a little part from the stuff at the beginning of each
> sourcefile: "this foo is provided AS IS ... foo ... no warranty ..."

Hi,

I hope this discussion is not going to flame up too much. I personally take
this as as "It must change or it will never compete with the Windows driver".

This is also my opinion. There should be a way to do grayscale images without
installing imagemagik. This can be a workaround but shouldn't be the final
solution.

The problem why this is not done yet is not, that I don't want this feature.
The problem is that I don't want the way it is done before.
I think, not the backend (primax_scan) but the frontend should support this.
You can compare it with the options for the gamma tables. Before a had options
for brightness, contrast and gamma. The backend emulated them by modifying
the gamma tables itself. No this is done by the frontend and has some
advantages. As you can try yourself, you can change the contrast, brightness
and gamma settings and see immediatly in the preview window. This was not
possible before.
Scanning 1-bit images you want to have a threshold value for selecting, what
should appear white or black. This could also be seen in the preview, but
only if the calculation is done by the frontend. So this would be the *right*
way to do it.

The only problem is that it is not done yet.
So there are two possible solutions:
(1) Add the option to the backend. This is not the best way but would provide
additional comfort to the user.
(2) Add the option to the frontend. This would mean hacking the frontend code.
As I don't know anything about it - this could be really difficult.

I think if you want this feature, you should contact the author of the
frontend. He can add this.

Conclusion: You are right if you want this feature. But it will not be
provided by us as we are not responsible.

Greatings,

Andre