primax: Thread: A number of things re pxscan

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: A number of things re pxscan
From: Gustaf Kroling ####@####.####
Date: 28 May 2000 20:26:17 -0000

Hello all,

I see that I have missed saturdays mails. Thanks Christian
for your
answers :-)

Here are some things that I want to say:

Re: D9600 ASIC E1

This asic is not supported for the simple reason that I have
no such
scanner. *But* I happend to find one that I can borrow from
time to
time. If someone sends me info on that scanner maybe it is
possible
to integrate it into the same driver or at least in a common
source-
code. Also see below re patches.

Re: 600P / 1200P

Can't Primax supply us with a list of what they have
produced this far?
It seems as if a Primax scanner can contain almost anything.
The label
on the package seems to be irrelevant. Anyway, as long as
they use the
E3 ( and possibly E1 ) ASIC it should be a matter of
parameters to make
it work I think. But again I have no such scanners at hand.

Re: Printer ports

The routine that probes the printer port can't handle my
hardware. That
is why there is a SOFTEPP version of pxscan. I used that
until the driver
was almost finished. Then I happend to discover a jumper on
the printercard
that selected EPP ONLY. Then it worked! Thinking about the
origin of ECP
and its complexity it may be too hard to implement. At least
EPP as a
subset of ECP. You need the datasheet for almost each and
every chip used...
So, try to turn of ECP.

Re: Patches

pxscan is almost rewritten by now. It can do black&white and
gray scans
among other things. However, it is not stable and more
things have to be
cleaned up. This means that sending me patches may be a good
way to show
how things can be done but don't do more than needed to make
it work. I will
probably not be able to use the patches 'as are' by now.

Re: Myself

I will be absorbed by another bold project during June and
can't work on
pxscan nor will I read any mails. In July most things come
to a standstill
here so expect to here from me again by then :-)

Thanks for all positive mails :-)

cu

Gustaf
On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 09:24:20PM +0200, Gustaf Kroling wrote:
> I see that I have missed saturdays mails. Thanks Christian
> for your
> answers :-)
no problem ... I also missed one week of mail... I had to go into the forrest
and do some shooting exercises ... ;-)

> Re: D9600 ASIC E1
>
> This asic is not supported for the simple reason that I have
> no such
> scanner.
I've never seen a D9600 with E1 in real life, has anyone?

> *But* I happend to find one that I can borrow from
> time to
> time.
Is there any need for E1 support?

> If someone sends me info on that scanner maybe it is
> possible
> to integrate it into the same driver or at least in a common
> source-
> code.
I've specs for the E1... there shouldn't be that much differences... but some
strange things have changed. e.g. the E1 only supports one button, so it
doesn't have an extra register for that purpose. it's just a bit in the
register which controls the lamp. The lamp isn't switched using Bit7 but using
Bit0 ... some other differences may exist, but I only know the E3 from the
sources by Gustaf Kroling.

> Re: 600P / 1200P
>
> Can't Primax supply us with a list of what they have
> produced this far?
> It seems as if a Primax scanner can contain almost anything.
I claim Primax even doesn't know it itself... ;-)
The told me which Primax Colorado Direct and other OEM models exist, but they
didn't tell me any model...

> The label
> on the package seems to be irrelevant. Anyway, as long as
> they use the
> E3 ( and possibly E1 ) ASIC it should be a matter of
> parameters to make
> it work I think.
Yes... and this can be queried using register 0x00 ...

> But again I have no such scanners at hand.
Marco and me have the 1200p, D9600 the 19200 USB and the Colorado

> Re: Patches
>
> pxscan is almost rewritten by now. It can do black&white and
> gray scans
> among other things. However, it is not stable and more
> things have to be
> cleaned up. This means that sending me patches may be a good
> way to show
> how things can be done but don't do more than needed to make
> it work. I will
> probably not be able to use the patches 'as are' by now.
I'd suggest again setting up a CVS server ... so all the guys knowing what
they do are able to do it. It'll be better than sending patches against a
version you don't have anymore. If you have any problems setting up this
service or don't really understand what CVS really does I'd be glad to help.

> Re: Myself
>
> I will be absorbed by another bold project during June and
> can't work on
> pxscan nor will I read any mails. In July most things come
> to a standstill
> here so expect to here from me again by then :-)
that's another reason for setting up a CVS.

--
Christian Ordig             | Homepage: http://thor.prohosting.com/~chrordig/
Germany                     |    eMail: Christian Ordig ####@####.####

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]