primax: Thread: More on primax problem on Mandrake 9

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: More on primax problem on Mandrake 9
From: ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2002 09:23:13 -0000

All right, I've come to the conclusion that there are 2 different
problems.

1) If saned-primaxd is activated, the scanner light comes on during the
init process. This happens both with the primaxd 0.5 and 1.- versions,
both on Mandrake 8.2 and 9.0. However, on Mandrake 8.2 scanning is
possible both with primaxd and with the standalone driver (although the
standalone driver works a lot better).

2) On Mandrake 9.0 both saned - primaxd and the standalone program
apparently work and recognize the scanner except that at the moment of
scanning both fail declaring it impossible to access the resource or to
unlock IO ports, and suidi'ing or working as root does not change
anything: however, apparently access to the parallel port IS available,
because it is undoubtedly saned to switch the light on during init and
because libieee124_test does have access to the port if run as root.
Running lsof doesn't show anything running on /dev/printers/0 /dev/lp0 or
whatever (device entries are identical in 8.2 and 9.0 mandrake).

Modprobe shows that both parport and parport_pc are correctly loaded.

Question: the first problem is apparently a (minor) bug (which could be
something to do with interaction between initscripts, devfs or xinetd and
the program); could the SECOND problem be a question of different
implementation of parport access in the 2.4.19 kernel ?

--
Michele Alzetta

> All right, I've come to the conclusion that there are 2 different
> problems.
>
> 1) If saned-primaxd is activated, the scanner light comes on during the
> init process. This happens both with the primaxd 0.5 and 1.- versions,
> both on Mandrake 8.2 and 9.0. However, on Mandrake 8.2 scanning is
> possible both with primaxd and with the standalone driver (although the
> standalone driver works a lot better).

HUUU! - I forget to mention: Don't use primaxd. You don't need it anymore.
The driver uses the native saned. It loads the libsane-primax.so and uses it.
Therefore you had to add the "primax"-entry in dll.conf.
Please  remove primaxd and configure saned. Maybe Mandrake did this already
for you.

> 2) On Mandrake 9.0 both saned - primaxd and the standalone program
> apparently work and recognize the scanner except that at the moment of
> scanning both fail declaring it impossible to access the resource or to
> unlock IO ports, and suidi'ing or working as root does not change
> anything: however, apparently access to the parallel port IS available,
> because it is undoubtedly saned to switch the light on during init and
> because libieee124_test does have access to the port if run as root.
> Running lsof doesn't show anything running on /dev/printers/0 /dev/lp0 or
> whatever (device entries are identical in 8.2 and 9.0 mandrake).

Seems as primaxd is locking the io-ports. Remove it.

> Modprobe shows that both parport and parport_pc are correctly loaded.

The used kernel module is calles ppdev. This provides a device:
/dev/parport/0.
Maybe this is not loaded, as some distributions have no configured the devfsd
correctly. So you have to load it manually with: modprobe ppdev.

> Question: the first problem is apparently a (minor) bug (which could be
> something to do with interaction between initscripts, devfs or xinetd and
> the program); could the SECOND problem be a question of different
> implementation of parport access in the 2.4.19 kernel ?

There was a problem in the implementation of the 2.4.19 kernel.  But this
schould be fixed in the latest version. Did you use the latest cvs version?
Maybe you have to update it again.

Hope some of the hints help.

Andre

- --