gnupic: Optimiziing Forth compiler for mid-range PICs

Subject: Re: Optimiziing Forth compiler for mid-range PICs
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2000 13:56:54 -0000

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I recently released an alpha but operational version of mary, an optimizing
> native code Forth compiler for PIC microcontrollers. There is a copy at http://
> www.pepix.net/proyectos/glazz/mary/mary-1.0a50.tar.gz for everyone interested
> in trying it. It's released under GPL.

Now that sounds cool!

> I mailed Scott Dattalo at the address listed in the gnupic.org pages, as I

That page is hopelessly outdated. My current e-mail address is the one
where I'm sending this response.

> understood he's the current maintainer, but it seems the message didn't get
> trhough. Maybe he's reading this message and then we can arrange making a link
> from gnupic.org or even hosting the current version.

At one point I was going to fix all of the links at gnupic.org. Then back
in November, James Bowman told me he had the 'source' for the web pages
(I'm not sure in what format). We lost touch for a couple of months and
when we made contact again, I didn't ask him for the source... Let me go
ahead and start on that.

> Any suggestion (and code patches :) are welcome. Right now, PIC models
> supported are 16C84 and 16C63, but adding more mid-range models is easy.
> Low-range PIC support is not planned. High-range may be supported in the
> future.

From what I can tell, the compiler is written Forth as well. I don't know
Forth at all. Could you perhaps provide some sample pic programs written
in Forth?

Scott