gnupic: Optimiziing Forth compiler for mid-range PICs

Subject: Re: Optimiziing Forth compiler for mid-range PICs
From: Wojciech Zabolotny ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2000 21:47:56 -0000

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 11:47:13PM +0000, Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I recently released an alpha but operational version of mary, an optimizing
> native code Forth compiler for PIC microcontrollers. There is a copy at http://
> www.pepix.net/proyectos/glazz/mary/mary-1.0a50.tar.gz for everyone interested
> in trying it. It's released under GPL.
>
> I mailed Scott Dattalo at the address listed in the gnupic.org pages, as I
> understood he's the current maintainer, but it seems the message didn't get
> trhough. Maybe he's reading this message and then we can arrange making a link
> from gnupic.org or even hosting the current version.
>
> Any suggestion (and code patches :) are welcome. Right now, PIC models
> supported are 16C84 and 16C63, but adding more mid-range models is easy.
> Low-range PIC support is not planned. High-range may be supported in the
> future.

Hi Francisco,

I've just printed the mary's manual and took a more thorough look at your
compiler. Let me ask you a few questions:

1) You wrote:

mary is part of the Glazz project, whose original aim was world
domination, later changed to the creation of a native code Forth system with
multiple targets.

Does it mean that you are considering the 8051 support?
There is no good GPL'd Forth for those microcontrollers...

2) I'd like to add the 16F84 support. It seems to me, that it should be enough
   to change the MAXPICRAM0 definition from 2F to 4F in the 16c84-data.fs file.
   Am I right?

3) mary is GPL'd, so what license applies to the code compiled with it?
   If I use the code generated with mary in a commercial application, am I
   obliged to provide the end user with the sources of my code?
   Could you please state it explicitly in your documentation?

4) How could I implement the interrupt service routine in mary?

5) I'm sorry, but by mistake I've Cc'ed the first reply for your message
   to the ####@####.#### instead of gnupic list - so in result
   I've forwarded your message to that list :-(. However I hope you have
   no objections to announcing of mary there...

Finally: you've done a wonderful work!
--
			TIA
			Wojciech Zabolotny