gnupic: gpasm and gpsim trouble

Subject: Re: gpasm and gpsim trouble
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 26 May 2000 03:04:16 -0000

On Fri, 26 May 2000, John Duncan wrote:

> condamine:~/pic$ gpasm bauble2.asm
> gpasm: main.c:185: main: Assertion `state.pass == 2' failed.
> Aborted
> condamine:~/pic$
>
> Would perhaps mean that all the symbols couldn't be resolved in 2
> passes??  Just a guess.

John,

Send me the file and I'll tell you what's wrong (and release a new version of
gpasm if needed).

> Another trivial little test program will assemble with gpasm.  The .cod
> .hex and .lst files a generated.  I can simulate this programme with
> gpsim when I specify using the .hex file but if I specify to use the
> .cod file I get a segmentation fault.  gpsim will initialise, all the
> gui windows are displayed and then it falls over. This is what I get :
>
> condamine:~/pic$ gpsim -p p16f84 -s test.cod

<snip>
> Segmentation fault
> condamine:~/pic$

Some one has just sent a patch that will probably fix this problem. Chances are,
your .cod file is corrupt because of a bug in gpasm. Again, send me the test.asm
file and I'll attempt to duplicate the problem.

> The only thing that I can see that could be wrong is that the p16f84.inc
> couldn't be found.  It is in the current directory.  I have tried
> putting it in my home  dir, /usr/local/share/gpasm (where special.inc
> lives) and /usr/local/lib just to see what it did.  It still can't be
> opened.
>
> I hope someone can help me sort this out.  I am using Slackware 7.  I
> hope someone can help me out.  Sorry about the length of the email, but
> I like to include as much information as I can.

Well for the most part, these kind of bugs get immediate attention. Under no
circumstance should it be tolerated to have gpsim or gpasm dump core. Let me
know if it does and I'll make an honest attempt to fix it.

Regards,
Scott