gnupic: watch window for gpsim gui

Subject: Re: watch window for gpsim gui
From: Anthony Tekatch ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2000 14:19:12 -0000

Hello Ralf,

>  - There will be three formats: hex, dec, bin. A right-click menu
>    selects witch of the columns to display

Would each watch have selectable formats or would the entire watch window
switch formats? I think it would be useful to select some watch variables to be
displayed in hex, others in dec and others in bin. To make it easier to
program you could have the watch window display all formats in three columns,
that might cut down on the users time to set up the watch window with
the desired formats after the variable has been selected.

>  - Each bit in binary-format columns will be easily
>    toggleable (is that a word?) by clicking on it.
>  - Adding watches is done by selecting them in the registersheet
>    and do right-click->"watch...".
>  - "Del" in watch window clears selected watch(es).
>
> I'll use a clist since they are so damn convinient.

Sounds good to me.

> How useful would it be to see the names of the bits for registers in
> a special "details" window?

Would the watch window be able to display single bits from a word (rather than
just the whole word)? If so then the bit name would be displayed already. If you
are only going to display the entire word then maybe a tooltip (with the
bit name) could pop up when an individual bit in that word is pointed at.

> How useful would it be to have a graphical representation of the pic
> in gpsim.

Do you mean a chart of all the memory or a picture of functional blocks?
What features (if any) would it have?
Either type would require a lot of maintenance each time a new processor is
added.

--
Anthony