gnupic: watch window for gpsim gui

Subject: Re: watch window for gpsim gui
From: Ralf Forsberg ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2000 16:23:26 -0000

On Sun, 09 Jan 2000, you wrote:

>>  - There will be three formats: hex, dec, bin. A right-click menu
>>    selects witch of the columns to display
>
>Would each watch have selectable formats or would the entire watch window
>switch formats?

(I mean't "which", up there :-)

I'll use three columns and hide/show columns as the user requests.
The right-click menu would use toggle menu items with hex, dec and
bin labels.

>> How useful would it be to see the names of the bits for registers in
>> a special "details" window?
>
>Would the watch window be able to display single bits from a word (rather than
>just the whole word)?

No, whole words.

BUT. Are there pics with registers that are larger than eight bits?

How does the 16bit pics work?

> If so then the bit name would be displayed already. If you
>are only going to display the entire word then maybe a tooltip (with the
>bit name) could pop up when an individual bit in that word is pointed at.

Yes, there's an idea.

>> How useful would it be to have a graphical representation of the pic
>> in gpsim.
>
>Do you mean a chart of all the memory or a picture of functional blocks?
>What features (if any) would it have?
>Either type would require a lot of maintenance each time a new processor is
>added.

No, I was thinking about pinout. The picture can be automatically
genereated when you know pin numbers and type of casing.

I don't know how useful it would be but some other uP simulators have
it. I wouldn't use it myself.

 / Ralf