gnupic: how'd we get spammed

Subject: Re: how'd we get spammed
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2001 13:46:05 -0000

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Andy N1YEW wrote:
> did anyone else get the message sent by ####@####.####

That is almost certainly an invalid address. Spammers don't usually send
from a valid address, because if they did it would be possible for us to
filter them out (not to mention the abuse they would receive). I believe
his real details (from whois ####@####.#### are probably:

person:      Schropp Roland
address:     Ritzmais 10
address:     94253 Bischofsmais
address:     DE
e-mail:      ####@####.####

The SPAM was sent from a t-online dialin account via gate.ots-ag.de, which
is probably an open relay. I have notified t-online; hopefully they will
terminate his account (though I doubt that will deter him, it should at
least inconvenience him a little).

On a side note, I actually get quite a lot of spam (at least two messages
a week) sent to the old GNUPIC mailing list address, but because such
messages don't get automatically forwarded to the new list I just ignore
them. Ok, so I should really report them to the relevant ISPs, but I'd
rather not waste any more time than necessary on them when the worst I
can actually do is mildly inconvenience them by getting them kicked from
their ISP.

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/