gnupic: Programming 16F877 for a newbie

Subject: Programming 16F877 for a newbie
From: Mike ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2001 05:30:48 -0000

Hey all.  Got a question I'm hoping to get a pointer on.

I'm very new to PIC's, and this semester I've got a class that'll be using
them.  From what the prof was saying we'll be using the F877 in the lab.
I'm thinking of buying a couple to diddle with here at home.  The question
is what'll be the easiest route for me to program these beasts once I get
'em?

I saw that gpasm supports 'em, and gpsim shows at least partial support.
But that's not the part that's got me wondering.  What I'm unsure of is how
do I get the program into the chip itself?

I found the link to picprg2.2 - that looks like the best bet for programing
software I've come across so far.  I also found the patch for the 2.2
kernel.  I'm running 2.4.0 - will the patched version still work for me?

In the same message, there are directions on doing LVP with an F877 after
another patch to picprg.  So if I'm understanding things correctly as long
as picprg will still work with the 2.4 kernel I should be good to go with
basically the following:
 - a 16F877 chip
 - gpasm
 - picprg2.2 patched with 1) the 2.2 parallel code and 2) the programming
   code (0x18) for the F877
 - a parallel cable with a 1k resistor between RB7 and pin 2 of the cable
 - switched 5V to Vdd on the F877

Does that all sound about right?

I certainly appreciate all the work that's gone into all these tools.
Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to give something back.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]