gnupic: Programming 16F877 for a newbie

Subject: Re: Programming 16F877 for a newbie
From: Yann Ramin ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2001 06:58:49 -0000

On Tuesday 09 January 2001 09:34 pm, Mike wrote:

> > Hey all.  Got a question I'm hoping to get a pointer on.
>
> I'm very new to PIC's, and this semester I've got a class that'll be using
> them.  From what the prof was saying we'll be using the F877 in the lab.
> I'm thinking of buying a couple to diddle with here at home.  The question
> is what'll be the easiest route for me to program these beasts once I get
> 'em?
>
> I saw that gpasm supports 'em, and gpsim shows at least partial support.
> But that's not the part that's got me wondering.  What I'm unsure of is how
> do I get the program into the chip itself?

I've been using the El Cheapo type programmer (DOS software only last I
checked, so I kept a good 486 around to prevent me having to taint my machine
and leave FreeBSD:)).  The Myke book even includes a PCB for it (which I
horribly messed up, so I redid it in vectorboard).  Its a very good book, and
your class may even use it.

The El Cheapo runs on a parellel port but uses the ICSP programming
functions. It is pretty robust, and for its added complexity compared to
other serial types, it works well.  Info can be found here:
http://www.myke.com/picmicro.htm

> I found the link to picprg2.2 - that looks like the best bet for programing
> software I've come across so far.  I also found the patch for the 2.2
> kernel.  I'm running 2.4.0 - will the patched version still work for me?
>
> In the same message, there are directions on doing LVP with an F877 after
> another patch to picprg.  So if I'm understanding things correctly as long
> as picprg will still work with the 2.4 kernel I should be good to go with
> basically the following:
>  - a 16F877 chip
>  - gpasm
>  - picprg2.2 patched with 1) the 2.2 parallel code and 2) the programming
>    code (0x18) for the F877
>  - a parallel cable with a 1k resistor between RB7 and pin 2 of the cable
>  - switched 5V to Vdd on the F877
>
> Does that all sound about right?
>
> I certainly appreciate all the work that's gone into all these tools.
> Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to give something back.

Yann Ramin			####@####.####
Atrus Trivalie Productions	www.redshift.com/~yramin
AIM				oddatrus
Marina, CA			http://profiles.yahoo.com/theatrus

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer
Electronics Hobbyist		person who loves toys

When smashing monuments, save the pedstals -- they always come in handy.
                -- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"

"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll
ask about Exchange Server next