gnupic: Traffic lights as extreme feedback device controlled by a PIC via USB

Subject: Re: Traffic lights as extreme feedback device controlled by a PIC via USB
From: Holger Oehm ####@####.####
Date: 10 Aug 2012 16:38:50 -0000

Hi Peter,

> How do you feel about the idea to make the generic USB stack a
> separate project? I think it would be fantastic, and a very nice way
> to spread gputils even wider in the industry if the license is also
> less restrictive. (I very much think that it is worthwhile to make a
> separate project even without changing the license.)

The modules in the project are already pretty much isolated. Therefore
if the license is not standing in your way, you can already use the
device folder alone and ignore the rest (or see it as an example for
host programs or as documentation). There is no real assembly into a
single artifact either, the folders more or less stand side by side and
the top level Makefile just runs make sequentially in the folders. This
means also that separating the modules into different projects would be
no problem at all. If you say it helps to have separate projects, I will
give it a try at the weekend. (Even if I am not sure how it helps).

> Perhaps you can try one or two older versions of the zadig build? I
> didn't use it for maybe a month or so, but the latest version at that
> time worked for me, for device-specific driver installation.

Yes, that did it! The previous version worked just fine and the device
now has its generic WinUSB driver. Now I can start to re-write the java
part for windows. Thanks for the tip!

> What is your development environment? Linux? Which distribution?
> Or do you develop also on a Windows system?

It is a Linux From Scratch[1], so it is pretty much my decision what to
include and what not (and my effort to get it to compile from sources).
My PC at home is setup to dual boot also a Windows 7 installation, but I
don't use that for development. (The only exception is that I recently
installed Java and Eclipse on it, to develop the windows part of the
host program for the device.) But I have no C compiler or similar
installed on my windows partition.

>> And I don't see how I can integrate all that stuff into the CI
>> build of the project[4].
>
> Yes, adding a cross-toolchain may be tricky if you don't control the
> CI system. :\

And having a working CI build is important (this is after all the
premise of the device! :-)).

> Well, maybe someone can help do it!

Yes, that would be great! I would certainly pull a automated windows
driver installation, if someone can contribute that.

Best Regards,
Holger.

[1]: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/