gnupic: Traffic lights as extreme feedback device controlled by a PIC via USB

Subject: Re: Traffic lights as extreme feedback device controlled by a PIC via USB
From: Peter Stuge ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2012 00:51:30 -0000

Holger Oehm wrote:
> > How do you feel about the idea to make the generic USB stack a
> > separate project? I think it would be fantastic, and a very nice way
> > to spread gputils even wider in the industry if the license is also
> > less restrictive. (I very much think that it is worthwhile to make a
> > separate project even without changing the license.)
>
> The modules in the project are already pretty much isolated. Therefore
> if the license is not standing in your way, you can already use the
> device folder alone and ignore the rest (or see it as an example for
> host programs or as documentation). There is no real assembly into a
> single artifact either, the folders more or less stand side by side and
> the top level Makefile just runs make sequentially in the folders. This
> means also that separating the modules into different projects would be
> no problem at all. If you say it helps to have separate projects, I will
> give it a try at the weekend. (Even if I am not sure how it helps).

The difference will only be very small, but the point would be to
focus on the USB code as a library to be used by other projects,
rather than focus on one project which uses the library, if that
makes sense. I'm absolutely not expecting you to do this, it's merely
an idea, but I think the work is very valuable, and the small change
of focus again is to make it super easy to reuse the code.

> The previous version worked just fine and the device now has its
> generic WinUSB driver.

All right!

> Now I can start to re-write the java part for windows. Thanks for the tip!

The libusb-1.0 bindings are https://github.com/trygvis/javax-usb-libusb1
but I guess you may have already found them. :)

> > What is your development environment? Linux? Which distribution?
> > Or do you develop also on a Windows system?
>
> It is a Linux From Scratch[1], so it is pretty much my decision what to
> include and what not (and my effort to get it to compile from sources).

Ok. Well yes then building a cross toolchain is a bit more effort,
but you could of course make use of some of the tools which were
created by other distributions. Gentoo for example has the 'crossdev'
tool which fully automates the building of a cross toolchain.

Source code: git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/crossdev.git

Build a 32-bit MinGW toolchain: crossdev -t i686-mingw32
Build a 64-bit MinGW-W64 toolchain: crossdev -t x86_64-w64-mingw32

> don't use that for development. (The only exception is that I recently
> installed Java and Eclipse on it, to develop the windows part of the
> host program for the device.) But I have no C compiler or similar
> installed on my windows partition.

MinGW is also available as native compiler of course. Along with MSYS
you get bash, and a fairly decent GNU-like environment. Just MinGW is
enough to compile simple programs.

> >> And I don't see how I can integrate all that stuff into the CI
> >> build of the project[4].
> >
> > Yes, adding a cross-toolchain may be tricky if you don't control the
> > CI system. :\
>
> And having a working CI build is important (this is after all the
> premise of the device! :-)).

Hehe, yes. :)

> > Well, maybe someone can help do it!
>
> Yes, that would be great! I would certainly pull a automated windows
> driver installation, if someone can contribute that.

I'm happy to cross build libwdi. What exactly do you need? Have a
look at the wdi-simple.c example from libwdi - is that already
enough?

//Peter