gnupic: asM files

Subject: Re: asM files
From: Matthew Bowles ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2000 22:58:11 -0000

Scott Dattalo wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Matthew Bowles wrote:
>

> > Yeah, thanks Scott
> > I basically understood the files and there use beforehand..
> > I really was interested in the viewing of the source.
> > Are you saying that is possible to see the source via the .cod file.
> >

> > Anyone
> > what would happen if I compiled .c to .hex (using Hi tech C cross
> > compiler for Linux)
> > and then loaded the .hex in gpsim.. And would the .cod file appear
> > different, because the .lst file has a C code listing... which is
> > obviously different to PIC Assembler listings.
> > [coincidently, this is exactly what I am doing]
>
> I don't have the Hitech C-compiler and so I've never tried this. As it
> stands, the gpsim gui assumes that the source file for your project was
> written in assembly. So I'm fairly certain that it won't work. The cli,
> otoh, makes no assumptions (because it's not trying to do anything fancy
> like the gui).
>
> If you could send me:
>
> the .c source and all include files and all of the outpus that the Hitech
> compiler produces, then I can take a look at how they format their .cod
> files and make changes to gpsim to be compatible with them. Now, the gui
> would have to be changed significantly to accomodate C-source debugging.
> So I can't make any promises that we'll have that working anytime soon (if
> at all).

I'll try and attach it to this email. (remember inexperienced linux
user)

> To get you going though, you may try to see if the Hitech compiler can
> produce an intermediate .asm file which can then be assembled by gpasm.
> Many C compilers I've worked with are capable of producing a .asm file
> with the .c source interspersed as comments. I imaging Hitech can do this.
>
> Another possibility is to use picc (or whatever it is called). There's a
> linux executable (not source) that is distributed for free. I know that it
> generates .asm output that can be assembled by gpasm.

I have picc. That seems to be the underlying compiler for all the HiTech
GUI stuff. which reduces me to picc, because only Windows, and DOS get
the GUI stuff. It's all stripped off, and left bare with the unbuilt
picc source that comes on the HiTech C CDROM.

> Does somebody know where picc is now available?

Yes, and that person is me. It's available on the HT CD.

> > Secondly does anyone understand what I just said??
>
> I think so.

Good...
Pretty good answer for someone who didn't understand anything...

> Scott

O.k I think I have successfully attached the HITech stuff forLinux, It
took a while to learn to drive tar.. but it looked like it did something
and the file is big, perhaps to big.

if this doesn't work, I might try removing the acrobat reader files. But
I not to sure on removing things...

see how you go

I posted this on the list WITHOUT attachment.. for good reason.

Matt