nanogui: Images resolution

Subject: Re: Images resolution
From: Chris Johns ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2000 23:29:20 -0000

Rosimildo daSilva wrote:

> "Greg Haerr" wrote:
>  > : I have looked at:
>  > :
>  > :  + Linux SVGA
>  > :  + GRX
>  > :
>  > : graphics library last night.
>  > :
>  > : They're somewhat large, but possible of being ported to RTEMS.
>  > : If anybody with more "graphics" experience than me,
>  > : could post some pros and cons of each library, I would appreciated.
>  > :
>  > : I've got the impression that the Linux SVGA would be easier to port.
>  >
>  > The GRX library runs on top of DOS, which is closer to the hardware.
>  > The SVGAlib library is based mostly as a user mode app, and probably
>  > requires mmap(), right?
>  >
>  > Greg
>
> Yes, but it is easy to "emulate" this call. IIRC, RTEMS already
> supports it. RTEMS being a POSIX based RTOS "match" better with
> Linux code.

I do not think POSIX is something which extends to this level. RTEMS
also have other API's which people use and need to be supported.

RTEMS does not have an mmap call. Are you going to add an mmap call ?

> I was just wondering about the benefits of porting either one in the
> long run.
>
>   + which one has large development community
>   + availability of drivers
>   + applications
>
> How about Linux Frame Buffer ( FB ) ?
> Is there any advantage of it over SVGA ?

Please consider Linux code very carefully. Code which is GPL cannot be
included in RTEMS.

Is it possible to have the RTEMS parts which are specific to the PC
Board Support Package (BSP) defined under RTEMS_PC rather than just
RTEMS ?

--
 Chris Johns, ####@####.####