nanogui: Images resolution

Subject: Re: Images resolution
From: Rosimildo daSilva ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2000 04:31:49 -0000

Chris Johns wrote:
 > Rosimildo daSilva wrote:
 > >
 > > "Greg Haerr" wrote:
 > >  > : I have looked at:
 > >  > :
 > >  > :  + Linux SVGA
 > >  > :  + GRX
 > >  > :
 > >  > : graphics library last night.
 > >  > :
 > >  > : They're somewhat large, but possible of being ported to RTEMS.
 > >  > : If anybody with more "graphics" experience than me,
 > >  > : could post some pros and cons of each library, I would appreciated.
 > >  > :
 > >  > : I've got the impression that the Linux SVGA would be easier to port.
 > >  >
 > >  > The GRX library runs on top of DOS, which is closer to the hardware.
 > >  > The SVGAlib library is based mostly as a user mode app, and probably
 > >  > requires mmap(), right?
 > >  >
 > >  > Greg
 > >
 > > Yes, but it is easy to "emulate" this call. IIRC, RTEMS already
 > > supports it. RTEMS being a POSIX based RTOS "match" better with
 > > Linux code.
 > >

 > I do not think POSIX is something which extends to this level. RTEMS
 > also have other API's which people use and need to be supported.
 >
 > RTEMS does not have an mmap call. Are you going to add an mmap call ?

Not at this point. Unless we as community feel that there is
need for such a call.

At this point I am trying to edudate myself about the possibilities
that we have out there.

 > > I was just wondering about the benefits of porting either one in the
 > > long run.
 > >
 > >   + which one has large development community
 > >   + availability of drivers
 > >   + applications
 > >
 > > How about Linux Frame Buffer ( FB ) ?
 > > Is there any advantage of it over SVGA ?
 > >

 > Please consider Linux code very carefully. Code which is GPL cannot be
 > included in RTEMS.

Thanks for the advise.

 > Is it possible to have the RTEMS parts which are specific to the PC
 > Board Support Package (BSP) defined under RTEMS_PC rather than just
 > RTEMS ?

Absolutely. Please advise how you'd think it should be,
and I'll try to adjust for *our* needs.

Chris,

I know you contribute a lot for the RTEMS community,
So, are you using MicroWindows with RTEMS, or you did not
have a chance to try it out. ?

Rosimildo.