nanogui: Frame buffer Interface

Subject: Re: Frame buffer Interface
From: Rosimildo daSilva ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2000 16:43:00 -0000

Erwin Rol wrote:
 > Greg Haerr wrote:
 > >
 > > : A small note: RTEMS doesn't not have shared libs, nor the posibility
 > > : to load a executable from disk to execute it. Everything is one
 > > : binary image. And you will need the posibility to leave out
 > > : devices you don't need to keep the memory footh print small.
 > >
 > > Ooops. In that case, it doesn't matter whether the kernel
 > > or the application parses mice bytes, but I still think that it's
 > > overkill for the kernel to have to do it, especially if non-posix
 > > event structures are invented.
 >
 > didn't know there where posix mouse-event structures ? :-)
 >
 > think of it this way;
 >
 > someone makes a product, with some custom keyboard and joystick.
 > he writes al his hasrware drivers and the BSP for his product
 > including the framebuffer device.
 > Now he wants to use microwindows on it, but of course microwindows
 > does not support his own developed joystick and keyboard device.
 > Sohe will have to write a driver and interface it with microwindows.
 > Which means he also has to learn the inner workings of microwindows and
 > so on.
 >

 > now with the input device idea.
 >
 > he writes his drivers. those drivers post the events to the input queue.
 > Micro windows already has a driver to handle the unified input device.
 > so he doesn't have to write a driver for microwindows, and microwindows
 > supports any device that one can make as long as it can convert its
 > input
 > to the events. everybody is happy :-)
 >
 > so for microwindows it is just and other device like a ps2 mouse
 > PC-keyboard joystick
 > etc. just like the framebuffer hides the video hardware.
 >
 > just an idea :-)

Hi guys,

Finally got sometime to move on with the Micro FrameBuffer stuff.

I have specified an interface for input devices as suggested.
I thing it is pretty nice, and it'll make eisier the port
of MicroWindows to others RTOS.

This link has an initial document and a reference implementation
for RTEMS.

http://members.xoom.com/rosimildo/mw_uid.html

Hopefully, I would get everything merged with the "0.88pre1"
release soon. It seems to be faster.

As usual, comments are welcomed.

Rosimildo.