nanogui: W Window system?

Subject: Re: W Window system?
From: ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 2000 07:21:55 -0000

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 02:36:22AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > It however looks like if you use the Yopy toolkit (which I believe
> > includes their version of W windows) you can only target a Yopy or you're
> > in violation of their agreement. (doesn't that violate the GPLing of the
> > original W window system?)
>
> If the code is GPL and they didnt get other permission from the author then
> yes. Ask the original author..

And every person that sent in a patch that was implemented in W that
is in the Yopy version.  It's a mind field and it's amazing how
un-enlightened companies that are building linux embedded devices are.
If they were smart they would make 98% of everything GPL, only non-GPL
stuff that they purchased from other companies.  Linux embedded device
makers are HARDWARE companies..., the more users and developers and
mindshare they have, the more sales they will earn.  If they make the
whole thing standard linux, then they've got millions of developers in
their corner.  Otherwise..., they're just another small potatoes
company that every software package will require actual porting too...
it's really stupid.  (I.e. now you have to compete with Palm for
developer mindshare)

The other end of it is they're probably going to burn a lot of this
stuff into ROM.  You can't take back something you put in ROM like
BeOS's latest GPL violation.  If someone that wrote some code under
GPL was really upset they could put the company in some serious hot
water.  Just wait till some of good old Richard's code gets burned
into rom as part of some proprietary toolkit..., let me say I wouldn't
want to be the guy on the other end the line when Stallman does the
call.

Hey it's just my opinion...  we need open packaging standards for
embedded devices too..., well, I'll stop while I'm behind.

Thanks,
Shane.