nanogui: W Window system?

Subject: Re: W Window system?
From: Vasant Ramasubramanian ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 2000 07:41:46 -0000

On Thu, 4 May 2000 ####@####.#### wrote:

> On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 02:36:22AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > It however looks like if you use the Yopy toolkit (which I believe
> > > includes their version of W windows) you can only target a Yopy or you're
> > > in violation of their agreement. (doesn't that violate the GPLing of the
> > > original W window system?)
> >
> > If the code is GPL and they didnt get other permission from the author then
> > yes. Ask the original author..
>
> And every person that sent in a patch that was implemented in W that
> is in the Yopy version.  It's a mind field and it's amazing how
> un-enlightened companies that are building linux embedded devices are.
> If they were smart they would make 98% of everything GPL, only non-GPL
> stuff that they purchased from other companies.  Linux embedded device

I think I'll e-mail the original author, his website mentions he hasn't
seen any of the Yopy code.

Though I was curious about the GPLing of W windows(and Yopy's possible
infringement), I was also curious what the developers on the this mailing
list think about the technical capabilities of W and it's bearing on
Microwindows / NanoGUI.

The screen shots of the Yopy in action did show a Win9x/NT/CE like
interface (eeww) but it did seem to have nice things like dialog boxes,
buttons, etc.

As I understand it, FLTK and GTK are being ported to MWindows? (These will
support the wonderful widgets we all so desire?). W doesn't seem to have
this "flexibility" to use different widgets? Comments?

I'm not looking to start an embedded GUI war, just looking for some
stimulating conversation (yeah, I already tried a singles bar =).

Thanks,
Vasant.