nanogui: Progress (or lack of it)

Subject: Re: Progress (or lack of it)
From: "Chris Ross (Boris)" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 1999 21:45:57 -0000

Alex Holden wrote:

> I've spent a couple of hours working on the network code today, and I'm
> going to try to keep an average of an hour or two two a day set aside for
> Nano-X work from now on (weekends will probably vary between no time at
> all and most of the weekend depending on where I'm staying and what I'm
> doing at the time though). I did promise to have a look at the GGI driver,
> but what I'd forgotten was that I've left it on my home machine which is,
> surprisingly enough, at home. I'm going home for the weekend to pick some
> other stuff up so I'll be able to get it then, or perhaps Greg might be
> able to forward it to the list before then (he has a copy of it)...
>
> I'm planning to spend most of the weekend getting the full 0.5 version
> done, including the new networking model which is getting quite close to
> being ready for release now. On Monday after releasing 0.5 I'll make sure
> the latest code is in the CVS, and the CVS is functioning properly again
> (I may have to drop anonymous access until I can figure out how to make
> it secure though- the only way I seem to be able to let anonymous check
> stuff out is to allow it write permission to everything... oh well). When
> that is going properly, people are welcome to ask me for a CVS account,
> and all development can be done in there from then on, thereby hopefully
> solving the problem of multiple developers getting out of sync. If Greg
> posts his code over the weekend, I'll try to get it integrated over the
> course of next week and maybe get a 0.6 out the following weekend. By that
> point, things should be all nicely synced up again, and the full on
> development of window managers, GDK ports, etc. can begin...

sounds very good - i think once we have gregs stuff merged with your
tree
i can treult start on the gdk port, i shall also be proting gtk as i go
along.  ( i will call them rgdk and rgtk - reduced = r ) i shall also
make
some attempt at building an imlib esque thing so we can have some funky
image file loading and drawing

what we basically need to have done is windoamager suppor t be placed
inito
nano-x even if the calls dont work (ie just the prototypes are there)
it means that the api can be somewhat completely frozen and the tree
tidied
up.

another thing - i think that we should have two different
types of windowmanager.

1) small one that is statically linked into nano-x if nano-x
is built wiothout netowrking,
2) no windowmanager linked in but operating on the client end of things.

but i have to say that i can't wait to hack up a small window manager =)

cheers

Chris Ross

| Chris Ross - Boris` on efnet, ####@####.#### |
|      Student, C Code Hacker, HTML,  and more...    |
|           * Web server down - Back Soon *          |