nanogui: Re: Stupid licensing thread (Was: Request for comments - Microwindows)

Subject: RE: Stupid licensing thread (Was: Request for comments - Microwin dows)
From: Jean-Eric Cuendet ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 1999 09:23:34 -0000

I sent this message one hour ago but was misinterpreted. The destinator is
David, not Vidar.
Do please reread it with this in mind.
Thanks
-jec

Message:
Hi,
I think this remark is stupid!
Of course we don't want that the code we wrote is used by commercial
companies, but don't you think that those companies can make great steps in
free software?

Example:
Do you think Linux would be what it is today if RedHat, SuSe, Caldera,
etc... don't make money on it. And don't forget that RedHat for example use
ONLY free software!

If we think like you think : "... those companies can write their own
library...", the work of these companies is just loosed for open-source
software. If we think that those companies that have people working
full-time on open-source software can add value to open-source software and
help our work in this area, it will be a good thing.
But that don't means that those companies must release all their work under
open-source. Think of Oracle, Sybase, etc... porting their DB to Linux. They
use the work of the glibc coders, the kernel coders, etc... but don't
release their source-code. Nobody is complaining about that.

That's the reason why the LGPL, MPL licenses were created. And we MUST use
it where it's possible to use it. Don't forget too, that KDE and GNOME is
developped by some people that are paid by commercial companies to work full
time on it. It won't be possible if those companies don't make money on
open-source software.

Hope this will change your opinion on this license thread.
Bye
-jec