nanogui: problem using bigger fonts

Subject: Re: [nanogui] problem using bigger fonts
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2006 00:29:21 +0000

:     I have successfully ported nanox to ST40 and its working fine. But I
: have problem using fonts with more than 16 bit width. When such font
: is used it displays garbage. When searched in the code I found that
: MWIMAGE_BITSPERIMAGE defined to have 16 bits (mwtypes.h). I still dont
: know what is the exact problem, Is this MWIMAGE_BITSPERIMAGE limiting
: factor?.

MWIMAGE_BITSPERIMAGE is not the limiting factor in
font widths, but there may still be some issues displaying
wider fonts, especially since you're saying it isn't working for
you.  MWIMAGE_BITSPERIMAGE = 16 says that nano-X
will always use _at least_ 16 bits for any image, rounded up to
a multiple of 16 bits, even if the image width is thinner.

> For all fonts which are having size less than 16 bits, it works
: correctly.
:     I am adding additional fonts to gen_fonts array (genfont.c) and using
: variable width font.

Variable width fonts must have the offset[] array filled out
appropriately so nano-X knows where to find the beginning
data offset of the image bits.  if this is NULL for a variable
width font, then it won't work.

I would suggest trying to display fonts greater than 16 bits wide,
using a fixed font, to see whether there is a problem in that
area.

:
:     Please let me know how to handle fonts with bigger bitmap. I am
: displaying text on TV screen so 16 bit bitmap gives very small glyph
: and is not readable (from considerable distance).

You might just convert a > 16 bit .bdf file to .fnt, and display that, just
see whether that works.  Then we'll know whether the issue is in
the general font routines, or just the built-in font display routines.