nanogui: 4bpp OK, 1bpp Not So Good

Subject: 4bpp OK, 1bpp Not So Good
From: Gil Glass ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jan 2006 20:29:14 +0000

Hello,

I have been using Nano-X version 0.91 compiled for an ARM processor
successfully for some time now.  I've been using it in framebuffer mode
with a 4 bit-per-pixel monochrome display and it's been just fine.
However, the real-deal hardware that my product is going to use is one
bit-per-pixel and, wouldn't you know it, the display hardware expects 4
pixels in each data word sent to it!

Now we have modified the Linux framebuffer primitives to correctly handle
the 4-pixel-nybble structure (2.6.11 does it wrong) and we can write to
the display via /dev/tty0.  However, when I try to run Nano-X, as it is
currently built, on the 1-bpp display, I see the expected image but with
narrow vertical stripes across the entire display.  It's hard to tell, but
the stripes are probably about 4 pixels wide.    Any idea what's up?  Does
Nano-X use the Linux framebuffer primitives, i.e. those for drawing
rectangles, etc., or does Nano-X draw directly to framebuffer space?  If
this is the case, are we looking at modifying Nano-X?

Finally, I'm currently using SCREEN_PIXTYPE = MWPF_PALETTE in my config
file.  Is this correct?

Cheers,
Gil Glass
Telecom Field Services
JDSU
Germantown, MD, USA
+1-240-404-2551
Please note new e-mail address:  ####@####.####  While the Acterna
address will continue to work for a while, please begin using the JDSU
address instead.