nanogui: Problem regarding microwindows running without X

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Problem regarding microwindows running without X
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2006 05:23:13 +0100

: I have copied the file 'src/Configs/config.x11' to 'src/config' in the src
: directory as per the installation directions given in the 'src/INSTALL'
: file.

Do that only when you want to run on top of X11.

: The demo 'demo.sh' is working fine but when I'm switching to init level 3
,
: I'm not able to run the same demo.

That's because you're configured for X11 and its not running.

: The error message given is
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 1
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 2
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 3
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 4
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 5
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 6
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 7
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 8
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 9
:      nxclient : retry connest attempt 10
:      Can't open graphics
: I have even tried to use the other config files ( config.fb , config.fb2 ,
: config.fb3 ) in the 'src/Configs' directory in an attempt to use the
: framebuffer(Though I can not locate any framebuffer file like '/dev/fb').

Reconfigure your kernel for framebuffer.  You must see
a graphics penguin on boot.  You may have to create /dev/fb.

: I have also tried out using xnlib but that also uses X11.

No, NXLIB converts X11 binary api to nano-X.  Nano-X can
then run on framebuffer or on top of X11.

: I am trying to find out a platform on which these demo can run without the
: help of X-server.
: Can Nano-X run without the support of X11 ?

Of course, it's primary reason for being is framebuffer access.