nanogui: X11 compatibility and pseudo-keyboards.

Subject: Re: X11 compatibility and pseudo-keyboards.
From: Gaillard Pierre-Olivier ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 1999 23:02:09 -0000

> What do you mean, writing to the console.  You mean writing to the
> console keyboard?  Or reading from it?  Or are you talking about
> writing character codes to the console display?

  They open the tty used by the X server and write scancodes to it so
that
 the X server uses them as if they had been typed on keyboard. At least
that is what I understood from the program.

> I'm not following this remark in the context of Microwindows graphics
> engine.  Please explain.
 What I meant was that I found the above described solution crude and I
would have liked something like an abstract pseudo-keyboard feeding the
Nano-X server
and accepting scancodes from miscellaneous programs (being able to
change dynamically).
Thus the flow of scancodes would be as follow :
keyboard emulation program 1      keyboard emulation program 2
         |                       /
         | scancodes           / scancodes
         |                   /
       pseudo-keyboard server

         | scancodes

  Nano-X server

So you could easily switch from one keyboard emulation program to
another,
use another keyboard over PPP and so on.

But maybe this is overcomplicated.

Also, I had overlooked the concern about namespace conflicts for X11.
This is not surprising since I only intend to use client-server Nano-X
(yes I am biased) and the problem does not occur in such a case (server
bound with real Xlib, client bound with fake Xlib).
I would really like to see what mister Ross has done about Xlib and what
Screenmedia is planning for keyboard emulation (graffitti-like or
something else ?). I'd love to help.

		P.O. Gaillard