nanogui: X11 compatibility and pseudo-keyboards.

Subject: Re: X11 compatibility and pseudo-keyboards.
From: ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 1999 15:10:26 -0000

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:28:24 -0500 you wrote:
>: We'll start working on an on screen keyboard soon...
>
>Wow.  That'll be great!  I assume it will be a widget?

It will be a stand alone application. I'm not sure if all of it will be
released, but I'll see what I can do to get the important parts released ;)

>Do you plan on anything fancy for function keys, or will it just be
>a-z0-9 type thing?  In other words, should I come up with the internal
>representation for function keys etc?

It will be as configurable as possible... We need to support some function
keys, especially cursor keys, and it has to be configurable enough for us to
be able to handle most national keyboard variants.

Btw... Maybe we should start thinking about Unicode support right away, before
to much about the font and keyboard handling is added...

>Glad to hear of progress.  Also, I'd like to know how well
>the speed improvement of 0.87 fares, if you find time to use
>that version.

I'm testing with 0.87 now, and it works well. However the test
application doesn't exactly test performance much, and I run it
on a fairly fast machine, so I won't get a chance to evaluate
performance until I get to test the Opera build for 0.87.

>Will the image widget need to allocate colors in palette space?
>If it calls GdDrawImage, it'll all be automatic.

So far we've used RGB values. For images we will use GrArea() for now,
but may add a variation of the image widget that uses GdDrawImage later.

Regards,
Vidar Hokstad
Screen Media