nanogui: FLTK freetype font anti-alias

Subject: Re: [nanogui] FLTK freetype font anti-alias
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 5 May 2008 19:22:28 -0000

> suppose I want to render anti-aliased text from FLTK2. What would be the
recommended approach?

> 1) Hack the source code in nxlib and whenever it calls GrCreateFont, call
GrSetFontAttributes right afterwards;

I like this approach the best, I don't really see it as a hack.  The entire
option of whether or not NXLIB should support anti-aliased text,
(and thus the GrSetFontAttributes and other calls) could then be
handled solely within NXLIB.

Not requiring any other changes in FLTK or outside of NXLIB is
a huge advantage, and is really NXLIB's job.

> 2) Let FLTK create the font, get a handle to it from nano-X server, and
> call
GrSetFontAttributes;
> 3) Use the XFontStruct from FLTK, get the font handle from it, and call
GrSetFontAttributes.

Both of these require modifying FLTK source, which is a bad idea.
You may need to use XFontStruct within NXLIB, but that should be
no problem.