nanogui: Runnning microwondows/Nanox‏

Subject: Re: Runnning microwondows/Nanox‏
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 31 Oct 2011 22:52:42 -0000

: I working on running microwindows on a wireless router (E.g Linksys
WRT54GL). Please I would like your advice on how to run microwindows.  I
thought to either;
: 1.       Install
: it in the firmware image. Then when I update the image on the device ,
: microwindows will be in it and I can run it from the command line.
: How
: can I modify the make files and the start-up scripts of the router to
achieve this and
: also run
: microwindows automatically at boot time?

Ola - For any of these options, you'll have to check with
the Linksys docs or support/open source folks for how to
install any executable internal to its firmware, or runnable
from its firmware.  I have no idea how to do this.

You will need a C library to cross compile and link against,
and then you will likely have to turn off many options in
the microwindows config file.  Since there is no screen
on the linksys, are you going to run just nano-X clients,
that then access a seperate nano-X server running on the network?
If so, then you'll need to have access to a socket library
in addition.  No file i/o or other items are required by
microwindows with a minimal config file, so that shouldn't
be an issue.

The win32 demos won't run as they have the "server" bound
into them and you'll need direct access to a framebuffer
in order to "see" anything!

: 2.       The
: other option is to stay with the original WRT54GL image. Copy the
: microwindows executables and libraries to the running image and then run
: them from the command line. The copy can be achieved with SCP or
: similar. The disadvantage of this approach is that I will have to recopy
: the files across each time the router boots, but would be flexible for
: initial testing.
: For both techniques I need to know exactly where and how best to install
the microwindows system. I probably don’t need to install all the demos but
one or two might be handy for testing.
:
: I will really appreciate advice. Thank you
:
: Regards,
: Ola