nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 17:33:25 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> Okay, but how could this look for the user ? If he clicks on a textfield,
> it will get the keyboard focus. So, the screen-keyboard will get the focus
> everytime you type something on it ...
>
> How do you plan to figure out the reciever of the screen-keyboard events...
>
> I see more API here.

Ok, here's a step by step walkthrough (this should work for both my
initial suggestion, and Alex's suggestion):

 - The user click the text field.
     Either the widget set does a call to set this as the default target
     (my initial suggestion), or Nano-X records the current window
     for later retrieval (Alex' suggestion)
 - The user move pointer to the on-screen keyboard.
    With Alex suggestion, the on-screen keyboard would then on mouse-enter
    retrieve the id of the last clicked window.
 - The user click on whatever "keys" on the on-screen keyboard he wants
    to. Both with Alex' and my suggestions the on-screen keyboard would
    then call the function to generate a key event, either with the
    default target (my suggestion), or with the ID retrieved in step
    2 (with Alex' suggestion).

In both cases, only two calls would be required. For mine, it would be
something like:

  SetKeyEventTarget(windowid)
  SendKeyEvent(....)

With Alex' suggestion, it would be something like:

  windowid = GetLastFocusedWindow()
  SendKeyEvent(...)

I think Alex' suggestion is cleaner than mine, as it would work with any
widget set without modification.

Regards,
Vidar