nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 18:46:58 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Warner Losh wrote:
> There is a race condition here.  If the keyboard focus changes between
> the GetLastFocusedWindow and SendKeyEvent, then you can have
> problems.

The focus is on the keyboard client when you are using it to select a key.
When the keyboard client decides what keypress it wants to send, it simply
does something like GrSendKey(key, GrLastGCId());. If the focus changes
between the keyboard client deciding what key you just selected (I suppose
it could happen if you had a slow handwriting recognition algorithm to
process or something), all that would happen is that the key event would
get sent to the keyboard client, which would ignore it. Big deal. You
shouldn't have changed focus before the keyboard client finished
processing the keypress anyway. It's not a race condition at all.

> Why not just SendKeyEvent(...)?  Maybe with a WindowID of 0 to mean
> current focus.  That way there can be no race condition.

That's not what we want. That would send it to the keyboard client, not
the text area you were trying to enter text into.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :