nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 18:57:37 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> mouse button in (I haven't looked into what is considered window focus in
> Nano-X, does it require a click?), to avoid problems if there are windows

I think the way it works currently is that when the mouse pointer moves
over a window, it transfers control to that window, and when the pointer
moves away from a window it removes control from the window. I think this
logic would be better off in a window manager of some sort, and should be
configurable to use the current method, focus on click, or sloppy
focussing (where the focus stays on the last window you were over). Some
WMs use delayed action sloppy focussing, where the focus is on the last
window which you either clicked on or held the pointer over for longer
than a certain amount of time (so the focus doesn't change when you move
the pointer quickly across another window). Also, I think the current
behaviour is to always bring the currently focussed window to the top, but
people often prefer a window to only be raised when you click on it (some
also auto-raise when you keep the pointer over it for longer than a
certain amount of time, I prefer that behaviour because you can quickly
slide the pointer over a partially hidden window without it coming to the
top, but if you do want it to come to the top you don't have to bother
clicking on it). My current thinking is that there should be a minimal
window manager included by default, and the "no window manager" behaviour
reserved for people who really really need to save memory (as with the
"client compiled into the server" behaviour).

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :