nanogui: My own issues with the uWin makefiles

Subject: My own issues with the uWin makefiles
From: Steven Stadnicki ####@####.####
Date: 9 Oct 2000 03:21:10 -0000

Hey there!  I hope this doesn't come off too negative, as even though I've
been fairly active in trying to get uWindows ported to our platform (the
MAP-1000 and MAP-CA media processors) I haven't had much cause
to post to the mailing list.  I've got to concur with Jason Gaiser in this;
the makefiles seem unnecessarily clunky.  In particular, considering how
complex they are there's a remarkable lack of flexibility in what to build
(as far as I can tell): you can 'make default' if you want to make just the
libs, but once the libs have been built there's no way that I can discern of
building individual demos, and no way of building all the demos; the top
level makefile doesn't have targets for the demos and the makefile in
the demos directory itself requires the inclusion of the top-level makefile
for all of its defines.  I'm trying to integrate the Microwindows codebase
with our own CVS hierarchy and build-tree structure and this is just playing
havoc with it.  I'd certainly be glad to try and help in hashing out a cleaner

scheme, though I'm unfortunately far from an expert in makefiles.

Steven Stadnicki
Equator Technologies, Inc.