nanogui: Multiple famebuffer

Subject: Re: Multiple famebuffer
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2000 14:57:13 -0000

Well, you have to consider your resources.  Adding a second device means
that the kernel will have to load and manage a second framebuffer that
won't even be seen.  Thats a lot of fancy management for what just
amounts to an extra block of memory somewhere.

When you think of pixmap, its not a picture or something, its actually
an fancy name for an offscreen window.  After you create a pixmap, it
acts as a window in every way.  In fact, the GrNewPixmap() routine
returns a GR_WINDOW_ID.  Plus, when you are done, you can throw it away
easily and quickly.  There is really no better way to pull it off.
Recently, we have ported XBill and XPenguins to Nano-X (when I get a
chance, I will package up the source code and release it to this list),
and we use GrPixmap double buffering heavily.  I really think that is
the easiest and fastest way to get things done.

Jordan