nanogui: Problem running demos when using Framebuffer option

Subject: Re: Problem running demos when using Framebuffer option
From: Supriyo ####@####.####
Date: 6 Dec 2000 16:12:32 -0000

Hi all,

I was really hoping I wouldn't be having to send this
mail with all the help that you ppl have
given...alas...the problem just refuses to go!!!! :)

Like I said earlier on...my Framebuffer has been set
up properly (I can see the penguin during booting up).
And I'm not getting any error messages when I try to
run any of the Microwindows demos.

But the problem is (and this is THE only one right
now!) everytime I try to run a certain demo, the upper
portion of the screen just goes blank or starts
flickering in a weird manner. At times the mouse dies
as well...but Tasnim's trick:

# /etc/init.d/gpm stop
# gpm -R -t ms

takes care of the mouse issue.

I've tried the whole procedure on another computer as
well (since I was thiking that probably my nVidia RIVA
TNT2 M64 is not compatible with VESA 2.0). This second
computer has an ATI 3D Rage Pro card...I used the
usual vesab drivers however....and got the same
results. I'm gonna try the atyfb driver tomorrow to
see if that works. Any idea if that might be the
problem?

One thing that might be useful to know....when I ran
"landmine" on the ATI 3D Rage Pro card using 0301, the
whole screen became very dim!!

I also tried Tasnim's suggestion of using config.fb
instead of config....but that didn't help either! And
his other suggestion about using 789 instead of 0301
didn't work as well...somehow it doesn't accept 789 as
a valid VESA mode.

Anyone out there who actually managed to get
Microwindows running using the Framebuffer option? :)

Could someone please tell me how I might be able to
solve this problem? I'm getting kinda desperate! :)

Regards,
Supriyo

--- Alex Holden ####@####.#### wrote: > On