nanogui: Some questions about nanowm and flnx ported to the linux-vr

Subject: Re: Some questions about nanowm and flnx ported to the linux-vr
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 12 Dec 2000 14:23:35 -0000

xiang lee wrote:

> I had compiled microwindows and flnx with the helps
> from kind Greg and kind Jordan . :-))

Thanks... :-)

> First question:
>
> I port nano-X nanowm nxterm nanokbd (in micwindow)to
> linu-vr,
> I run a shell at boot
> >nano-X & nanokbd & nxterm &nanowm
> then i can see nxterm and part of nanokbd,the mouse is
> good ,but I can't activate the nanokbd at background.
> I think that i can't click the nanokbd,though i can
> move the mouse on it.Does the nanowm work? I can't see
> the window's border which i can see in the VGA Frame
> buffer .but,when i didn't run nanowm the mouse is
> break. ? ;(

When you "click" on a window, what you're really doing is giving it a
focus, which means that window
will recieve all keypresses, etc, etc...

The whole concept of the virtual keyboard is to send keystrokes to your
focus window, so we made it so you
can never give focus to the keyboard, in order to preserve your original
focus.  Think how annoying it would be
to have to click back and forth between, say, ViewML and your keyboard
just to enter a web address.  The nxkbd works
just like any other window, it just doesn't get the focus.

> The second:
> I can't see my flnx's API when I port it to linux-vr,
> even it is a example of flnx and only have two
> color(black and white).
> eg1.I run it as follow;
> >nano-X & window & nanowm
> (the window is a simple window with a Fl_Input.)
> I can see nothing on the LCD but black......
> eg2.
> >nano-X & nanokbd &window &nanowm
> I can see a keyboard at the top of "black...."
> this time i can click the keyboard and enjoy it.....:(
>
> thx a lot!!

You should really be running the window manager second, otherwise you
are setting yourself up for problems.  This is how
you should be starting it up:

nano-X & nanowm & nanokbd & < other programs here>

The window manager will automatically pick any new clients and put them
on the screen.  We have seen some serious problems with
starting the window manager *AFTER* other Nano-X programs have been
running.

Happy hacking,
Jordan