nanogui: Notice for Redhat 7.0 users

Subject: Notice for Redhat 7.0 users
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 12 Dec 2000 16:04:34 -0000

Jordan Crouse wrote:

> xiang lee wrote:
>
> > I had compiled microwindows and flnx with the helps
> > from kind Greg and kind Jordan . :-))
>
> Thanks... :-)
>
> > First question:
> >
> > I port nano-X nanowm nxterm nanokbd (in micwindow)to
> > linu-vr,
> > I run a shell at boot
> > >nano-X & nanokbd & nxterm &nanowm
> > then i can see nxterm and part of nanokbd,the mouse is
> > good ,but I can't activate the nanokbd at background.
> > I think that i can't click the nanokbd,though i can
> > move the mouse on it.Does the nanowm work? I can't see
> > the window's border which i can see in the VGA Frame
> > buffer .but,when i didn't run nanowm the mouse is
> > break. ? ;(
>
> When you "click" on a window, what you're really doing is giving it a
> focus, which means that window
> will recieve all keypresses, etc, etc...
>
> The whole concept of the virtual keyboard is to send keystrokes to your
> focus window, so we made it so you
> can never give focus to the keyboard, in order to preserve your original
> focus.  Think how annoying it would be
> to have to click back and forth between, say, ViewML and your keyboard
> just to enter a web address.  The nxkbd works
> just like any other window, it just doesn't get the focus.
If you are a Redhat 7.0 user, you may have noticed some very strange
warnings while compiling Microwindows.  For example:

Warning:  pasting would not give a valid preprocessing token
-- or --
warning:  Nothing can be pasted after this token

This has to do with an odd change in the Redhat 7.0 compiler (gcc 2.96)
that mishandles a previously accepted #define statement.
I don't believe that this affects the code (though somebody who uses the
Nwidget set should probably see if it still works), but it
is annoying (heaven help you if you are building the kernel - this
message pops up for every single file).  Just don't get worried if
you see it, its not your fault.

Happy hacking to all!
Jordan