nanogui: Thread-safety, wrapping globals in structs, RTEMS

Subject: Thread-safety, wrapping globals in structs, RTEMS
From: Kaben Nanlohy ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2000 22:04:58 -0000

Some time ago there was mention of the toils required to wrap all of our
globals into structs so as to give us thread-safety in our nano-X clients.

I'm using nano-X and RTEMS, and for some time I've been shutting-off
preemption before every graphics call in order to avoid clobbering nano-X
globals.  RTEMS has provisions for giving each rtems_task a private copy
of global variables, and I haven't yet played with this and so I haven't
yet identified the gotchas I'd encounter by trying to privatize nano-X
globals.

Much more elegant would be the wrapping of globals into structs.  Has
anyone tried tackling this, or given thought to doing so?  Or how to do so
without destroying everything?  and if not, is anyone interested in
giving it a shot with me?  I'd start in about two weeks.

-- Kaben Nanlohy