nanogui: Thread-safety, wrapping globals in structs, RTEMS

Subject: Re: Thread-safety, wrapping globals in structs, RTEMS
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2000 22:48:52 -0000

: RTEMS has provisions for giving each rtems_task a private copy
: of global variables, and I haven't yet played with this and so I haven't
: yet identified the gotchas I'd encounter by trying to privatize nano-X
: globals.

I'd like to get your list of globals used.  There are two basic
types, static's per file and shared globals.  I've had some
thought on moving some of the g_ globals in engine/devopen.c into
the PSD struct, for various reasons.  Others, including all the
statics, are really global and shouldn't be per-task nor should
they affect the operation of Microwindows in a multi-threaded
environment, unless you're wanting to be able to draw simultaneously
from multiple tasks.

:
: Much more elegant would be the wrapping of globals into structs.  Has
: anyone tried tackling this, or given thought to doing so?  Or how to do so
: without destroying everything?  and if not, is anyone interested in
: giving it a shot with me?  I'd start in about two weeks.

I like the idea, but what really does wrapping into a struct buy
us from a multi-tasking perspective?