nanogui: Child Windows

Subject: Re: Child Windows
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2001 18:58:47 -0000

: This is exactly how Nano-X works.  The user
: must specifically choose to decorate or not to decorate a given window.

This is incorrect, and not quite what Amit is looking for.  Nano-X
currently only has a NODECORATE bit, not a DECORATE bit,
which Amit makes a good point for. (more discussion on this in
the next message).  With the currently Nano-X design, Nano-X
will never decorate any window that's not a child of the root.  This
prohibits any caption decoration for child windows in an application.

: However, the default (as is the default in all other window managers) is
: to decorate the window when in doubt.  If you fire off a new window that
: is the child of the root window with a GrNewWindow() call, and then you
: omit setting the window properties, you will get a decorated window,
: exactly the same as if I fired of a new X display and I didn't specify
: the window decorations.

This is correct.  The GrNewWindow call is deprecated.  Instead,
use the GrNewWindowEx call, which requires the window style
bits to be passed.  The default GrNewWindow style bits are
0, which allows decoration if the window a child of root.  I did
this for backwards compatibility, so that older apps would get a
window decoration.  Now I'm wondering whether it might
be time to undo that, and require a separate decoration bit.