nanogui: About Framebuffer

Subject: Re: About Framebuffer
From: Gary James ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2001 03:48:10 -0000

Hi Along

This is a pretty common problem. You should check the mail list archives
here:
http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/0

You can search the archives here:
http://www.linuxhacker.org/search
In a recent note Alex wrote "You may want to include the word "nanogui" as
one of the search terms to
restrict it to this mailing list (as opposed to all of the lists on the
server)".

You basically need two things setup. Your kernel must have framebuffer
support. Most recent distributions have frame buffer support (I'm most
familar with RedHat 6.x), although it is not generally enabled by default.
An easy way to tell if you have frame buffer support is to look in "/dev"
for framebuffer drivers. Do you have "/dev/fb0"? If yes your kernel likely
has frame buffer support, if not you may need to recompile your kernel.

If your kernel has framebuffer support you must start the system with the
framebuffer enabled. Add the line "vga=ASK" to your "/etc/lilo.conf" file.
Then reinstall lilo. If you get the framebuffer running you will see a
graphic of TUX on the screen while Linux boots.

One more problem that people generally have after they get the framebuffer
running is to get their mouse configured to use gpm. If you run X and try
to run microwindows in framebuffer mode at the same time, you will need to
configure your mouse to use the gpm driver. Here is a summry of how to do
that:
http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?5:mss:2866:200009:egjmojnoefgnnijecpck

If you still have problems geting a framebuffer setup try these sites:
http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk/
http://www.linux-fbdev.org/

Good Luck
Gary James