nanogui: PeekMessage and other questions

Subject: Re: [nanogui] PeekMessage and other questions
From: Julian Smart ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2001 13:51:49 -0000

At 07:02 PM 5/30/01 -0600, Greg Haerr wrote:
>: 1. Is the Nano-X API in some sense the preferred API, since more people on
>: this list seem to be using that than the WIN32 one? Plus of course the
>: multiple-app benefit of Nano-X. I wonder, is there functionality that
>: Nano-X is capable of, and which the WIN32 API will never be able to do?
>
>I started with the WIN32 API, since it actually does have a few benefits;
>however, getting multiple-apps to work with it will require a marshalling
>implementation, and bringing in a midl compiler which isn't worth the
>effort currently.  Because of that, I switched efforts into completing
>the Nano-X API.  The NX API's biggest benefit is that it's very close
>to the X API (although ugh the names are all different...)  This nonetheless
>allows Xlib Linux programs to be brought over (although the color model
>is completely different)

Thanks for the explanation!

It occurs to me that using an OS such as eCos, where we would replace
processes with threads anyway, the marshalling wouldn't be required, though
we would need to protect the WIN32 API adequately from unwanted reentry.
Maybe it would be worth adding pseudo-multi-app support under Linux too, to
make the WIN32 API applicable to more users until real multi-app support is
there.

>: 2. I take it that menu/menubar functionality in the WIN32 API must be
>: provided by the application since this part of the API seems to be missing
>: in MicroWindows.
>
>There are currently only about 6 or 7 "custom controls" built into
>the WIN32 API.  Adding menus isn't that much work, but tedious.
>You may be able to borrow an implementation from the Wine or
>MiniGUI projects.  Also, I would like to add .RES file support.

I've just heard that the wxUniversal port project has just got their menu
implementation working...

Regards,

Julian
--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Unit 200 Rustat House, 62 Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. CB1
7EG Tel: +44 (1223) 271063