nanogui: Compiling nano-X (SVGAlib) under Linux Mandrake 8

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Compiling nano-X (SVGAlib) under Linux Mandrake 8
From: Mikhail Ivanov ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jun 2001 06:39:42 -0000

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:08:37 -0600, Jordan Crouse ####@####.#### wrote:

> I really need a kick in the head.  What follows is easily one of the most
> braindead paragraphs I have ever done.  Corrections follow:
>
> > 2. drivers/kbd_ttyscan.c - during running of nano-X, it produces:
> >
> > KDGKBMODE: Invalid argument
> > Cannot initialise keyboard
>
> > dev/tty is not really a device. - Why have we seen this so much lately?  I
> > just compiled .89pre7 and ran it on my Redhat 7.1 system with no problems.
> > f so, then thats easily my mistake.  I might have made an idiot mistake in
> > the code somewhere....... :(
>
> What I meant to say was: the invalid argument means that /dev/tty is not the
> type of device we expected it to be.  That has been happening alot lately,
> and since I made some changes in that code recently, this might all be my
> fault.  It works fine on my machine running .89pre7, but the CVS version
> might be screwed up somehow.  Everyone who has had this problem, write in and
> let me know what version of Microwindows you are using.
>
> Jordan

I had the same problem, and someone on this list pointed out that
this might have been a problem with /dev/tty, which was a great
help because it turned out I didn't have any getty's running upon boot,
only a "/bin/sh < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>/dev/console" was
present in /etc/inittab. (The system is HardHat Linux).
So, the solution was to add a line like:
1:2345:respawn:/bin/getty tty1
into inittab and reboot, and everyhing started working OK
(I also had to link my app with the server though).
The Microwindows version is 0.89pre7, with no updates.

Since the original /etc/inittab (with no getty's) comes from
the standard HardHat distribution, this may be the reason
why other people are seeing the same error message --
/dev/tty is not configured in the system.

--
Sincerely,
Mikhail Ivanov