nanogui: Re: Compiling nano-X (SVGAlib) under Linux Mandrake 8]

Subject: [Fwd: [nanogui] Compiling nano-X (SVGAlib) under Linux Mandrake 8]
From: David Creelman ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jul 2001 07:54:59 -0000

David,

I ran into a whole slew of problems compiling other relatively
straightforward packages (Rascal, playavi, anything needing latex)
on Mandrake 8.0.

It seems that a whole lot of development RPMs are not installed by default.
This means you need to go and backtrack from the error messages and work
out what the name of the missing development packages are and install them.
Needless to say, this is rather painful. I thought I'd chosen 'development'
on install, but I must have missed something. I'll drop a line over to
Mandrake to let them know what a pain it is.

...On other software I've also had problems with the C Compiler. The
release used in RH and Mandrake is not stable. Sometimes as/ld just dumps
core and tells you to report the error condition to the developers. This
just seems silly, but that's what happens on the cutting edge.

I've got a similar setup here, so I'll give it a try and see how I go.

Cheers
David