nanogui: about serial mouse on microwindow

Subject: Re: [nanogui] about serial mouse on microwindow
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 1 Oct 2001 15:43:08 -0000

Well, your first step is to determine exactly where the problem is.  The
first thing you can do is to plug the mouse into the serial port and simply
'cat /dev/ttyS0'.  You should be able to move the mouse and see lots of noise
on your screen.    If that doesn't work, then you definitely have a problem
with your hardware.

If that works, then the next step is to make sure that you have microwindows
set up correctly - examine drivers/mou_serial.c very carefully.  Note that
you have to set a couple of environment variables (especially MOUSE_TYPE)
that will indicate which type of mouse to use.   Also, check that you are
setting up the correct values for the TTY (baud rate, etc....).

Finally, your last step is to stick some debug statements in MOU_Read() to
see what values you are reading from the device.  See if you can detect a
patter of some sort.   You might have to write a new parse function for your
particular hardware, since there is usually a lot of math involved with
converting the raw values from the mouse into something you can use in
Microwindows.

Good luck,
Jordan

On Monday 01 October 2001 09:28, victor mentioned: