nanogui: Resource Compiler (There IS one out there)

Subject: Resource Compiler (There IS one out there)
From: "Chet Simpson" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Dec 2001 03:00:37 -0000

Hi all! I'm new to the list (porting MW to an embedded platform) but
about somebody wanting a resource compiler....

I have ported the windows (.rc) resource compiler from WINE [to win32]
in hopes of using it for other projects. So far I have tested it with
several .rc files and have been able to load them as well as all of the
resources they contain under windows - which means that it seems to be
working. In my porting of MicroWindows over, the resource compiler will
obviously come in handy. Unfortunately, platforms other than Windows and
MacOS do not seem contain any resource loading for resources that are
bound to an executable. The RC compiler from WINE does output assembler
code so that the binary resources can be compiled into an executable
(obviously for use in Linux apps linked to WINELib) but this is just the
standard .res file format. The code for loading and managing resources
could be moved over from WINE but from what I can tell the majority of
code wouldn't apply due to the differences in how various things are
managed (probably be best to just write a new loading routine).

Of course what this means is that eventually, I will be implementing
resource loading and management routines to take advantage of this, but
nothing is really available at the moment. At least I'm half way there.
Anyone who would like the source code should email me and I'll send it
out. Keep in mind that it is ported for Win32 (unfortunately that's
where my development must take place due to the tools I use) so if
you're interested in working with the resource compiler and you're using
Linux it's best to just pull the resource compiler from the WINE
distribution.

...Chet...