nanogui: Resource Compiler (There IS one out there)

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Resource Compiler (There IS one out there)
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2001 16:48:56 -0000

: I have ported the windows (.rc) resource compiler from WINE [to win32]
: in hopes of using it for other projects. So far I have tested it with
: several .rc files and have been able to load them as well as all of the
: resources they contain under windows - which means that it seems to be
: working. In my porting of MicroWindows over, the resource compiler will
: obviously come in handy.

Cool.  I would like the source code (to add to my list of other
RC compilers that might come in handy.)  Please send it me, thanks!

Unfortunately, platforms other than Windows and
: MacOS do not seem contain any resource loading for resources that are
: bound to an executable. The RC compiler from WINE does output assembler
: code so that the binary resources can be compiled into an executable
: (obviously for use in Linux apps linked to WINELib) but this is just the
: standard .res file format.

I think that a good answer to this would be a separate .RES file with
the same name (and path) as the base executable.  In this way, a standard
.RES file.  A library call to override this default, allowing multiple
language versions of applications easily.  I have used this method with
success in other projects.

Is the .RES file format complete win32 32-bit standard?

: Of course what this means is that eventually, I will be implementing
: resource loading and management routines to take advantage of this, but
: nothing is really available at the moment. At least I'm half way there.
: Anyone who would like the source code should email me and I'll send it
: out. Keep in mind that it is ported for Win32 (unfortunately that's
: where my development must take place due to the tools I use) so if
: you're interested in working with the resource compiler and you're using
: Linux it's best to just pull the resource compiler from the WINE
: distribution.
: ...Chet...
: Do You Yahoo!?